Matte paint finishes are quite popular in cars. Their rough texture and non-reflective appearance are now trendy. The matte paint works just like conventional automotive paint. The only difference is the clear coat. In regular pain, the clear coat dries to a smooth texture; and in a matte finish it dries to a rough texture.
The clear coat in matte paint contains microscopic dents and dimples. This prevents reflection of light. So, it doesn’t give a lustrous shine; instead, it gives a sheen finish that is less reflective. Here are some of the things you should know about opaque matte paint in cars.
- There is a misconception that caring for matte paint is difficult. The truth is that there are lots of cleaners, polishes, and sealants available today that can maintain the finish and texture of the matte paint.
- Like the regular paint, the matte finish paint can also collect scratches and other imperfections. However, the matte paint is less susceptible to scratches and swirls. This is because the matte finish paint is non-reflective. So, even if there is scratch, the light won’t reflect from it and it won’t be visible.
- In case, the scratches become too apparent, you can’t easily get rid of it by polishing like in a regular car. You may need to repaint the car. So, you should always protect the matte finish with high-quality matte paint protectant.
- Matte finishes are durable and can last a long time. The clear coat provides the long-term protection of the paint. You should protect the clear coat with a sealant so that the matte paint lasts longer.
- You cannot apply a standard paint wax to a matte paint. The clear coat on the matte paint has small dips and dumps. When you apply wax, it fills up those bumps. So, you won’t get the matte-finish effect. The paint will look patchy.
- You should wash matte painted cars with proper soap. The normal car wash soaps contain waxing agent and additives that make the paint shine. So, you should avoid this kind of soaps. You should use soap that is specifically made for matte finish cars. These soaps don’t have the waxing agent and other additives, so the car won’t have the shiny effect.
Matt finish paint is now available in all kinds of cars and it’s gaining popularity. With glossy paint all around, a matte finish can make your car stand out from the rest. It will give you a sense of individuality.